Abandoned Train Substation




Today I tried to access this old abandoned substation on a quiet residential block. Previously, I've been here before to scout out access and potential foot traffic of local neighbors. It is quite easy to access if you don't mind jumping the fence but the tall windows are a problem without any type of supporting ladder or fellow explorer shoulder.  Inside holds old machinery that once powered the local train line before the municipality agency for some reason left it to rot next to an adjacent substation that is also under maintenance and repair. A substation's function is to convert high-voltage AC to DC in order to power trains along the transit line. In New York City, there are many old and new substations across the five boroughs that can be found next to subway stations. This particular one still has the vintage equipment from other sources I've seen during my research. There is also one in another borough I almost got to explore before coming across a security guard wondering why am I entering the property. A look of bewilderment and confusion usually smooths things over but that is for another post if I ever access that particular substation.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historic Killingly Ballouville Mill

Doorway on the Passaic River

Former East New York 75th Precinct Station (153rd Precinct)

Brooklyn's Heartbeat: The Restoration of The Notorious B.I.G. Baby Mural

Echoes of the Oven: The Legacy of Nicetown Freihofer's Bakery