Abandoned Caribbean Island House


An abandoned wooden house, weathered and partially collapsed, is engulfed by the dense overgrowth of a tropical forest. Vines and plants weave through its open windows and doors, indicating nature's steady reclaiming of the man-made structure. The foliage's vibrant green stands out against the house's faded wood, telling a story of neglect and the passage of time.
Outside view.



It was a balmy morning on my two-week vacation on the Caribbean island. Just that morning, I took my early morning walk before the sun peeped its head over the clouds.  During our circular route around the neighboring countryside village from where I was staying. We came upon a small narrow path delineated by the countless footsteps of many people who used this shortcut to get back over on the other side then going around the main road. Walking this well-beaten path we came upon a small gaping limestone cave.  The small cave didn't go any deeper than maybe 10 feet. A pile of dead plant matter, household garbage, and abandoned bird nests were all that was on offer from this discovery. If I wanted deep cave exploration I would have headed to the tourist limestone cave tour the island is known for on the southwest of the island.




A very small cave.


We continued onward to our accommodation. After refueling myself with a hearty breakfast. I packed my camera gear and headed back out to the beaten path once more to poke around some more. On another path through the thicket of bushes, young tree saplings, and knee-high grass, I came upon a small abandoned board house tucked away inside the small area of overgrown foliage between neighboring houses and the main side road. No evidence of human usage was apparent around the outside. The hoard house was surrounded and entwined with small trees and saplings. Nature had taken its course with this derelict house.







Inside the house, the roof from the view of the front room had already caved in a long time ago. The floor in certain parts had caved into itself to the ground. One part of the boarding house was entirely covered by what looked like walnut husks and the other side had what remained to be a box spring bed sans mattress bedding. Further back inside the house was unreachable due to the aforementioned collapsed roof and absentee flooring. Guessing by the remaining structure of the house, the house give or take may have been there for more than 10 years. No apparent evidence of termites or extreme wood rot in sight,  I would say the house was constructed with hardy wood like mahogany. Although the climate is sustained yearly with 80-degree weather with a few months out of the year starting in October for the rain and hurricane season. The house was surprisingly in fair condition.




Living room.

No more bedroom here

The direction to the kitchen/bathroom.



Satisfied with my discovery and pictures. I headed further out from the house until I came out into a clearing studded with the back views of wall houses in the distance. There will be no more abandoned spots in this area. With that dilemma,  I headed back home before I drowned in my own sweat with the rising sun and the mercury-raising temperatures climbed even higher.




Side view.




P.S. Before heading to this island, I researched abandoned properties but to my dismay, Google Street does not exist in the countryside or the city. In addition, Google Maps' clunky what's here feature was useless for map coordinates when Google Maps was a nonexistent map tool for further exploration. I found other areas of interest sweeping the island using Google satellite images but getting there was an issue since I did not have relevant information on locale or addresses. Island villages are way different than small towns or cities in the USA.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me so I can add you to my Google Maps list.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historic Killingly Ballouville Mill

Doorway on the Passaic River

Former East New York 75th Precinct Station (153rd Precinct)

Brooklyn's Heartbeat: The Restoration of The Notorious B.I.G. Baby Mural

Echoes of the Oven: The Legacy of Nicetown Freihofer's Bakery